majorities

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 9 09:36:43 PST 2002

I finally rejoined the American Association for Public Opinion Research after letting my membership lapse for a year or two. This gem was just posted to their listserv by the holder of an endowed chair at a major school of journalism. Commenting on the risks of early release of exit poll data influencing voters who haven't yet cast their ballots, this distinguished professor observed:

>If you want to jump on the winner's bandwagon, that's good,
>because democracy needs consensus and those willing to go along with the
>majority just because it is a majority should be encouraged.

Doug