Pelosi ( Fw: Nosedive: The Democrats the Day After

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Sun Nov 10 16:45:43 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

Nathan Newman wrote:
> And the point
> is that if the Iraq war is not core to imperialism-- ie. imperialists can
> oppose it

-But of course imperialists can oppose given imperialist ventures, -without ceasing in the least to be imperialists (even highly -self-conscious ones). Many very aggressive supporters of U.S. -imperialism eventually actively urged withdrawal from Vietnam.

Because they recognized it was counter-productive to US hegemony at that point. Just as many say the same thing about the war on Iraq. And for the same reason, there are folks like Hitch (wrongly in my mind but I think honestly) who think the counter-productive aspects of such an action will undermine US imperial interests, such as by strengthening independent movements by Kurds, Shias and Palestinians.

The whole TomPaine ad of "Bin Laden Wants you to Invade Iraq" captures. this. If you really hate US power, there is actually a good case to be cheerleading this war, since I think the results are likely to be disasterous over the long term for the US and its citizens.

-- Nathan