Columbus: REPORT ON REVOLUTIONARY ANTI-IMPERIALIST BLOC

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Nov 11 08:29:45 PST 2002

REPORT ON REVOLUTIONARY ANTI-IMPERIALIST BLOC

posted by ARA Columbus on Sunday November 10 2002 @ 11:53PM PST

Anti-War Activism Here's a report on the Revolutionary Anti-Imperialist Bloc that participated in yesterday's anti-war rally in Columbus, OH... we will be writing a longer, more in depth article tomorrow, so I'll post that when it's done.

There were approximately 75 people in the Bloc, from all over Ohio as well as some people from Michigan and PA. When we started marching, there was a very light police presence (from what I heard, all the cops - riot and undercovers included - were present at the main march's meeting point). In fact, we only had 1 bike cop and 2 squad cars that I saw watching us. We were able to lull the police into a false sense of security, by remaining on the sidewalk for the beginning of the march (where there was hardly any traffic or people to see us), and then taking the street as soon as we hit High Street (a very major street in Columbus that runs right through downtown, and passes by the Ohio Statehouse). The police kept trying to herd us back onto the sidewalk, but those of us in front took the banners and kept moving up ahead of the police and were able to keep the march in the street for the 5 blocks to the Statehouse. When we got to the rally at the Statehouse, we got a huge reception from the crowd - lots of encouragement, lots of yelling and chanting with us - it was really great! The person speaking even had to stop, and introduce us, as we brought our huge (18 foot) "No Blood for Oil" banner right in front of the stage - "Let's Welcome Anti-Racist Action" he announced.

After that, we mainly hung around on the street side, being energetic and chanting. We had some runs in with some Republican counter-protestors, some cops who told one of us "I want a piece of you," as well as some liberals who were pissed off that we were there. All in all, though, it went very well as far as I could see - we gained a lot of respect and new allies (a lot of people asked me about ARA and other anarchist events and groups in Columbus) and strengthened our reputation with those people who already knew and liked us. Best of all, we had a good time doing it. Both people that I spoke to and that friends of mine had a chance to speak with said that the Bloc brought all the energy and fun to the march, that stuff was really boring before we got there. People remarked that they hoped to see more of that kind of thing in the future, and that they would be interested in organzing some kinds of actions, as they are tired of preaching to the choir (or hearing others do it). That's all really good news!

More info on yesterday should be coming soon, and pictures should be available online in the next couple of days (we're waiting for a friend to scan them in). As far as the meeting went, a statement of formation should be coming from that coalition within the next week or so (we are meeting again in Cleveland next after the anti-war march there).

Thanks again to everyone who came out and made the Revolutionary Anti-Imperialist Bloc a success!

Revolutionary Anti-Imperialist Bloc Takes the Streets in Columbus

posted by HPWombat on Monday November 11 2002 @ 07:52AM PST

Anti-War Activism Revolutionary Anti-Imperialist Bloc Takes the Streets in Columbus By Columbus Anti-Authoritarian Media

It was a rather cloudy day this Saturday November 9th, but luckily the rain didn’t get past a few sprinkles. We got to the convergence point a little early, being that we got done with our preparations a little earlier than expected. We opted to wait at the bus stop near the corner of Spring Street and Cleveland Avenue as to not attract attention, already some of the Columbus State Campus Cops were waiting off in the distance, and we were uncertain as to their intentions. Around noon, a half-hour before the convergence time, the first members of Columbus ARA showed and we talked briefly about various issues. About 15 after the majority of the RAIB had shown, and many joked about “just waiting for the bus, officer”. Columbus Police began to show around this time and parked across the street from us. Red and black flags, along with FRAC flags and a “decorated” U.S. flag with an Anarchy sign covering the stars, a few banners, and a few anti-war posters were brought out and passed around. The final numbers for the Revolutionary Anti-Imperialist Bloc climbed just over 50 around 45 after and we were ready to begin. Then an unfortunate thing happened, our cheap high-8 camera ate our tape, and we lost our ability to cover the march to the statehouse. We still took the back of the Bloc and kept our eyes open as to what was occurring. The Bloc chanted as we walked down the street towards the statehouse, but we were already being filmed and followed, both by bicycle cops and patrol cops. Things got interesting though when we moved a little out of the ways, and instead of walking down 3rd Street, which would’ve taken us to the Statehouse faster, we opted to takeover high street, marching in the middle of the street and chanting “They take us to War, we take the streets!” We didn’t get far when the police decided to drown out our chants and try to run us off the streets. Being in the rear of the Bloc, I got an earful of Police sirens and I could feel the closeness of the police car behind me as it moved towards the Bloc and pushed its way towards us forcing us back onto the sidewalk. But we were not derailed, we snaked back onto the streets as soon as we got around them and continued our march. The police attempted to keep us on the sidewalk a few more times, but we marched past them every time. We would keep the streets as we marched across Broad Street to the Statehouse with police sirens blaring; they simply introduced us to the 1000+ anti-war protesters already situated in front of the statehouse. With fists shaking in the air we had arrived!