Fw: Nosedive: The Democrats the Day After

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 11 09:45:23 PST 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Is it really true that the Dems in power = "a friendlier environment
>for union organizing"? Ever since the peaks of 1945-1946 and 1954,
>union density has gone downhill, regardless of which party dominates
>any branch of the government, as shown by the chart of union density
>between 1930 and 2001 provided by AFL-CIO at
><http://www.aflcio.org/uniondifference/uniondiff11.htm>.

Well, look at the chart. Density went from around 25% to 15% in the Reagan and Bush years; in the Clinton years, from 15% to what looks like 13%. Remember that Ron busted PATCO and gave the green light to the corporate class to bust unions with abandon. Clinton was no friend of unions, but he wasn't their sworn enemy either. You got some decent NLRB decisions under Clinton, too, which I'm sure Nathan can cite.

Doug