Pelosi Win Not A Progressive Victory (by Stephen Zunes)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 11 09:48:18 PST 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Why folks are looking to tear apart the most leftwing person ever to lead
>the House Democrats is beyond me. The rightwing is pulling out the knives
>to do her in. They don't need more help.

Which right? Reps say they're happy she's there - it makes it easier for them to campaign against Dems because they can paint her as a San Francisco Democrat, out of touch with the masses. I'm not sure I believe them when they say this - if they really thought that, would they be saying it so loudly?

Doug