More on the reverse Sokal

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Mon Nov 11 12:33:28 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan Newman" <nathan at newman.org>

If the social/financial costs of verifying string theory exceed the benefits to be gained to societies, then screw the physicists. The money is better spent studying human health, argicultural ecosystems, forest blights, atmospheric chemistry..the list goes on and on. C S Pierce wrote about the economics of scientific research a century ago and we've still got a bunch of rent-seeking scientists who play on the "man's place in the universe" quasi-theological search for the meaning of it all. Physics needs to be dethroned. This case with the French, along with the fraud at Bell labs is the perfect opportunity to shift the terms of the debate........

Ian