Big question for Chip (was Re: Fw: Nosedive: ...)

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Mon Nov 11 17:33:27 PST 2002

Hi,

Actually, Weyrich said in a follow up article that he did not mean Christian conservatives should drop out of politics, just that they needed to set up parallel institutions because secular society was going to collapse and that was how Christian conservatives would finally take over.

The Christian Coalition has faded, but there are hundreds of other national and state Christian Right insititutions.

Ralph Reed, formerly of CC, is now head of the Republican Party in Georgia. Repubs did very well in GA. Christian conseratives have been the largest single voting bloc in the Republican Party since 1980. Stats from last weeks election will take a while to process, then we can see what percentages the Christian conseratives turn out in terms of overall voters and voters that vote Republican.

I don't think there will be dramatic changes. The Christian Right is not going away.

-Chip Berlet