'Be All You Can Be'...For Minimum Wage? Re: Attack Of The Liberals

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Tue Nov 12 21:03:33 PST 2002

At 11:25 PM 11/11/02 -0800, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> > Assume that our private (rank rating of E-1) has less than
> > two years experience. What is her annual salary?
>
>Don't forget that an E-1 is only an E-1 for a short amount of time, and
>that military advancement, unlike the hypothetical 'burger flipper' in
>the 'exercise', is based on length of service, especially in the early
>years. So if you're "making E-1 wages" you only do it for a short
>amount of time, whereas if you're flipping burgers, you're sort of stuck
>there.

Oh, and these figures are just wrong. An E6 makes about $45K if you figure that they aren't paying for housing, more if they get a family housing allowance, and a meal allowance that covers them, if single, and their family if married with children. Their allowances are also adjusted for living in higher expense areas.

If divorced, the ex spouse MUST pay that extra allowance to his/her ex and kids.

Kelley

Looking forward to scabbing it off the teat of the US Navy