80% of straight men have pretended to be gay!

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Nov 14 08:41:03 PST 2002

Quoting Jeffrey Fisher <jfisher at igc.org>:

> i wonder what it means to "pretend" to be gay. is that flirting with
> men? is that pretending to be a queen? what?

I think it's just saying you are gay. This is so stupid though, unless you know which kinds of gay guys are actually cool, sexy, a good investment, or whatever, in a given context. So what *is* impressive, is that presumably said gay-acting guys must have made some kind of investigation into the kind of gayness that would be a good call in a given situation. Now *that* would be a qualitative data set worth reading.

Mind you, I know this girl who describes herself as a "gay-acting straight girl" and not only have I wondered *how* she *acted* that, I've wondered how she was sure about her reception. Maybe they thought they were acting "gay", or it was just wishful thinking, or they really didn't have a clue.

Catherine