NYT eyeing FT?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Nov 14 13:05:08 PST 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Having bought the International Herald Tribune, the New York Times is
> rumoured to want to acquire the FT.
>
> [scary horrible news!]

Too horrible to contemplate. But at the very end it says

> Recent talks with the Times about taking over distribution of the FT
> in the US led to rumours of the Times' interest in a takeover.

and that seems to be the only evidence he's got. If it's only rumours, and the reality is better distribution for the FT, that'd be great. I've got lots of friends I want to get subscribed, but who can't because out in the boonies it comes two days late.

On the other hand, I can't think of why you'd agree to help your competitor distribute . . . I guess that's what started the rumors :o) Can anyone in newspapers supply a plausible economic model?

Michael