Baudrillard "weighs" in

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 14 16:34:00 PST 2002

Le Monde diplomatique - November 2002

TERRORISM IS SOCIETY'S CONDEMNATION OF ITSELF

The despair of having everything

The West's mission is to make the world's wealth of cultures

interchangeable, and to subordinate them within the global

order. Our culture, which is bereft of values, revenges

itself upon the values of other cultures.

by JEAN BAUDRILLARD *

IS globalisation inevitable? What fervour propels the

world to embrace such an abstract idea? And what force

drives us to make that idea a reality so unconditionally?

The universal used to be an idea. Yet when an idea is

actually realised globally, it commits suicide. With

humankind as the sole authority of note, occupying the

empty space left by a dead God, the human species now

rules unchallenged, though it no longer has any

overarching goal. Since humanity's enemies have all fled,

it must generate foes from within its own ranks, while

showing symptoms of inhumanity.

Hence the violence associated with globalisation, with a

system that wants to eliminate any manifestation of

negativity and singularity (including the ultimate

expression of singularity, death). This is the violence

of a society in which we are almost forbidden to engage

in conflict. This violence, in a way, marks an end to

violence itself, because it yearns for a world free from

any natural order that might govern the human body or

sexuality, life or death. It might be more accurate to

use the word virulence, rather than violence. This

violence has viral force: it spreads by contagion and

chain reactions. It gradually destroys our immunity and

ability to resist.

Globalisation's triumph is not certain yet, though. Faced

with its homogenising and destabilising effects, hostile

forces are arising everywhere. But anti-globalisation's

ever-sharper manifestations - including social and

political resistance - should be seen as more than just

outmoded forms of rejection. They are part of an

agonising revision that focuses on the achievements of

modernity and "progress", a process that rejects both the

globalised techno-structure and an ideology that wants to

make all cultures interchangeable.

Anti-globalisation actions may be violent, abnormal or

irrational, at least as judged by our enlightened

philosophy. They may be collective, bringing together

different ethnic, religious and linguistic groups, or

they may be individual, including maladjustment and

neurosis. It would be wrong to denounce

anti-globalisation forces as populist, antiquated or

terrorist. Every current event - including Islamic

hostility to the West - happens in opposition to the

abstraction that is the concept of universality. Islam is

now public enemy number one because it has shown the most

vehement opposition to Western values.

Who or what can thwart the global system? Surely not

anti-globalisation forces, whose only aim is to slow the

pace of deregulation; their political influence may be

considerable but their symbolic impact is nil. The

protestors' violence is merely another event within the

system that the system will absorb - while remaining in

control of the game.

Singularities [unique or unusual identities or

approaches] could be used to baffle the system. Being

neither positive nor negative, they do not represent

alternatives; they are wild cards outside the system.

They cannot be evaluated by value judgments or through

principles of political reality; they can correspond to

either the best or the worst. They are obstacles to

one-track thinking and dominant modes of thought,

although they are not the only kind of contrary approach.

They make up their own games and play by their own rules.

Singularities are not inherently violent. Some can be

subtle, unique characteristics of language, art, culture

or the human body. But violent singularities do exist,

and terrorism is one of them. Violence revenges all the

varied cultures that disappeared to prepare for the

investiture of a single global power. This is not really

a clash of civilisations. Instead, this anthropological

conflict pits a monolithic universal culture against all

manifestations of otherness, wherever they may be found.

Global power - as fundamentalist as any religious

orthodoxy - sees anything different or unorthodox as

heretical, and the heretics must be made to assume their

position within the global order or disappear completely.

The West's mission (we could call it the "former West"

since it lost its defining values long ago) is to reduce

a wealth of separate cultures into being interchangeable,

of equal weight, by any brutal means possible. A culture

that is bereft of values revenges itself on the values of

other cultures. Beyond politics and economics, the

primary aim of warfare (including the conflict in

Afghanistan) is to normalise savagery and beat

territories into alignment. Another objective is to

diminish any zone of resistance, to colonise and tame any

terrain, geographical or mental

Furious envy

The rise of the globalised system has been powered by the

furious envy of an indifferent, low-definition culture

faced with the reality of high-definition cultures. Envy

is what disenchanted systems that have lost their

intensity feel in the presence of high-intensity

cultures. It is the envy of deconsecrated societies when

confronted with sacrificial cultures and structures.

The global system assesses any resistance as potentially

terrorist, as in Afghanistan (1). When a territory bans

democratic liberties such as music, television or women's

faces, when nations take courses opposed to what we call

civilisation, the "free" world sees these events as

indefensible, regardless of what religious principles may

be at stake.

So to disavow modernity and its pretensions of

universality is not allowed. Some resistors reject the

belief that modernity is a force for good or represents

the natural ideal of our species; others question the

universality of our mores and values. Even when the

resistors are described as "fanatics", their contrariness

remains criminal, according to the received wisdom of the

West.

This confrontation can only be understood by considering

symbolic obligations. To understand the hatred the rest

of the world feels towards the West, we must reverse our

perspectives. This is not the hatred felt by people from

whom we have taken everything and to whom we have given

nothing back. Rather, it is the hatred felt by those to

whom we have given everything and who can give nothing in

return. Their hatred stems from humiliation, not from

dispossession or exploitation. The attacks of 11

September were a response to this animus, with one kind

of humiliation begetting another.

The worst thing that can happen to global power is not

for it to be attacked or destroyed but for it to be

humiliated. Global power was humiliated on 11 September

because the terrorists inflicted an injury that could not

be inflicted on them in return. Reprisals are only

physical retaliations, whereas global power had suffered

a symbolic defeat. War can only respond to the

terrorists' physical aggression, not to the challenge

they represent. Their defiance can only be addressed by

vengefully humiliating the "others" (but surely not by

crushing them with bombs or by locking them up like dogs

in detention cells in Guantánamo Bay).

There is a fundamental rule that the basis for all

domination is a total lack of any counterflow to the

prevailing power. Bestowing a unilateral gift is a

powerful act. The "good" empire gives without any

possibility of a return of gifts. This is almost to

assume God's place or to take on the role of the master

who ensures his slaves' safety in exchange for their

labours. (Since work is not a symbolic compensation, the

only remaining options for the slaves are revolution and

death.)

But even God allowed humanity to give him the gift of

sacrifice. Within the traditional order it was always

possible to repay God, or nature, or another higher

authority, by sacrifice. This safeguarded the symbolic

equilibrium between human beings and everything else.

Today there is no one left to compensate, to whom we

might repay our symbolic debt. This is the curse of our

culture: although giving is not impossible, giving back

is impossible, because sacrifice has had its importance

and power taken away, and what remains is a caricature of

sacrifice (like contemporary ideas of victimisation).

So we find ourselves stuck with always being on the

receiving end, not from God or nature, but from technical

mechanisms that provide general exchange and

gratification. Almost everything is given to us. And we

are entitled to it all. We are like slaves, bondservants

whose lives have been spared but who are still bound by

an intractable debt. At some point, though, that

fundamental rule always applies and any positive transfer

will be met with a negative reaction.

This is a violent expression of repressed feeling about

lives in captivity, about sheltered existences, about, in

fact, having far too much existence. The return to a more

primitive condition may take the form of violence

(including terrorism) or the form of denials

characterised by powerlessness, self-hatred and remorse,

negative passions, which are a debased form of the

payback that it is impossible to make.

The thing we hate within ourselves, the obscure focus of

our resentment, is our surfeit of reality: our excessive

power and comfort, our sense of accomplishment. This is

the fate that Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor had prepared

for the tamed masses in The Brothers Karamazov ["to

vanquish freedom and to do so to make men happy"]. It is

exactly what the terrorists condemn in our culture. Hence

the endless coverage of - and fascination with -

terrorism.

Terrorism depends not only on the obvious despair of the

humiliated, but on the invisible despair of

globalisation's beneficiaries. It depends on our

subjugation to the technology integral to our lives, and

to the crushing effects of virtual reality. We are in

thrall to networks and programmes, and this dependence

defines our species, homo sapiens gone global. This

feeling of invisible despair - our own despair - is

irreversible because it is the result of the total

fulfilment of our desires.

If terrorism is really the result of a state of profusion

without any hope of payback or obligation to sacrifice,

of the forced resolution of conflicts, then eradicating

it as if it were an affliction imposed from the outside

could only be illusory. Terrorism, in its absurdity and

meaninglessness, is society's verdict on - and

condemnation of - itself.

* Philosopher and author of The Spirit of Terrorism and

Requiem for the Twin Towers (Verso, New York, 2002); The

Perfect Crime (Verso, 1996) and The Gulf War Did Not Take

Place (Indiana University Press, Bloomington, 1995). This

article also appears in Power Inferno, Galilée, Paris ©

Éditions Galilée

(1) You could say serious natural disasters are a form of

terrorism since, although they are technically classified

as accidents (such as Chernobyl), they may resemble

terrorism. In India, the Bhopal poison gas tragedy

(technically an accident) could have been terrorism. Any

terrorist group could claim responsibility for an

aviation accident. Irrational events can be attributed to

anyone or anything, so that, at the limit, we could see

anything as criminal, even cold weather or an earthquake.

There is nothing new about this: in the aftermath of the

1923 Tokyo earthquake, thousands of Koreans were blamed

and killed. In a system as integrated as our own,

everything destabilises; everything seeks to undermine a

system that lays claim to infallibility. Given what we

are already undergoing because of the system's rational

grip, we may wonder if the worst catastrophe is the

infallibility of the system.

Translated by Luke Sandford