Baudrillard "weighs" in

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Thu Nov 14 17:03:31 PST 2002

geez, and here i thought lbo-talk was the last refuge of postmodernism . . .

<cough>

seriously, though, and leaving aside baudrillard's status as essentially [sic] a wannabe bataille, i actually enjoyed his inversion of the "cultural envy" thesis we've heard hacks like friedman bandy about:

"The rise of the globalised system has been powered by the furious envy of an indifferent, low-definition culture faced with the reality of high-definition cultures. Envy is what disenchanted systems that have lost their intensity feel in the presence of high-intensity cultures. It is the envy of deconsecrated societies when confronted with sacrificial cultures and structures."

i don't know that that virtuosic little maneuver was worth the rest of the article, or that it was especially enlightening, but it was kind of spiffy -- which i suppose is what postmodernism is (supposed to be) all about, anyway . . .