Baudrillard "weighs" in

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Thu Nov 14 18:21:05 PST 2002

well, i don't think it's a fascination with terrorists so much as envy of the passion he asserts the richness of our society has killed, and then the way that--in a quasi-post-marxist move typical of baudrillard--terrorism is not a phenomenon extraneous to modernism (we would prefer to say it straight: capitalism), but intrinsic to it. that's an interesting thought, if not especially original or even well expressed.

in any event, baudrillard is hardly the postmodernist i would choose to dig in my heels about, as i tried to hint at. he seems to somehow think of himself as the heir to bataille and the "postmodern" strain opposing that represented by zizek. i know, i know, to a lot of you, fights between baudrillard and zizek seem like dull or even annoying squabbles among relatives, but still.

god forbid i should contribute to beginning another month-long series of threads on habermas (or zizek or baudrillard), but there it is.