the Times reviews a critic

Doug McGill dougmcgill at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 15 12:32:26 PST 2002

I never met a stupid person at the Times, but I met many who were in thrall to the power of the place. That's inimical to good writing, yes? In her writing I think Michiko sounds like a smartypants teacher's pet, who gears her essays to mouth the professor's favorite buzzwords rather than to get someplace intellectually. It's a common writing strategy at the Times and a fair amount of writing energy there goes into masking the smug tone it naturally produces. So just who is the professor and why does the Times try so inifitely hard to please him, is the big question ...