Dugger Says Fellow Greens Put Bush in Office-- No to Nader Run in 2004

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Nov 15 20:25:02 PST 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:

> You know, even if this were true, and I don't think it is, you might
> think that it'd cause Dems to reflect on what they did to inspire
> this kind of opposition, and do something about repairing the damage.

Well, Gore's anti-war and pro-single payer speeches seem at the very least to be feelers toward a substantial leftward move. Considering that he's always been the very soul of centrism, that certainly seems to count as reflection, no? It's only one leader. But it might be the leader. It's certainly the guy that most suffered from losing Green votes.

I know it's hard to believe this could possibly happen. But my creatively optimistic parallel would be the transformation of George Foreman after he lost the Rumble in the Jungle. This wouldn't be any more enormous than that. And it would result from the same thing -- a terrible, humiliating public beating from a man who he should have been able to beat if he'd had more tactical sense.

Also followed by two years of silence in both cases :o)

Michael

"I'm an optimist because it's intellectually more challenging" __________________________________________________________________________