Dugger Says Fellow Greens Put Bush in Office-- No to Nader Run in 2004

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Sat Nov 16 06:48:34 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pollak" <mpollak at panix.com>

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Nathan Newman wrote:
> Gore isn't moving to the left to get Green votes in the general
> election. He's moving to the left to get labor and other progressive
> votes WITHIN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY primary.

-That's depressing. If he's doing it solely to win primaries rather than -as part of a general election strategy, that implies it's nothing more -than the eternal left-right two step.

Not really-- once he commits to such policies, he has to run on them. And I don't know why it would be more depressing for Gore to be running to get tens of millions of votes in support of single payer health care in the primary than for a Green like Nader to do so for a couple of million in the general.

But we aren't talking about Gore strategy but progressive strategy in effecting his actions.

-- Nathan Newman