the politics of bankruptcy

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Nov 17 06:10:10 PST 2002

At 3:31 AM -0500 11/17/02, Nathan Newman wrote:
>I have no disagreement that the Dems like to milk the credit card industry
>for campaign dollars, so appearing to support the bill is good for the DNC
>coffers. I even think Daschle and Schumer and Biden themselves have some
>desire for the bill to pass, given the financial jobs in their states, but
>most Dems supported the abortion provisions because they knew it would kill
>the bill.

Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that you are right. Then, the conclusion is that Democratic politicians are not interested in educating constituencies about the politics of bankruptcy, much less mobilizing them about it. It's a politics of ignorance and passivity that Dems want their constituencies to adopt. -- Yoshie