Russia to take nuclear waste "at dumping prices" to undercut comp etition

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Nov 17 16:48:56 PST 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, ChrisD(RJ) wrote:

> Russia to take nuclear waste "at dumping prices" to undercut competition
> ITAR-TASS

> Moscow, 13 November: Russian Atomic Energy Minister Aleksandr Rumyantsev
> has warned that in case of foul competition in the world market for
> spent nuclear fuel, Russia will be taking it at "dumping prices".
>
> Interviewed by the Itogi magazine, Rumyantsev said foreign competitors
> were conducting backstage talks with Russia's customary partners.
>
> "Don't give spent nuclear fuel to the Russians, we shall take it from
> you at much lower prices. This is what these talks are all about,"
> Rumyantsev said.

Is there any truth to this? I find it hard to believe that either France or the US is fighting to get other countries' spent fuel. We have a lot of political problems trying to bury our own. I think this is one field Russia has to herself. No?

Unless there's a new security concern angle vis a vis dirty bombs. That I could understand. But that wouldn't be about price competition and dumping prices wouldn't help.

Michael