Russia to take nuclear waste "at dumping prices" to undercut comp etition

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Nov 17 23:21:59 PST 2002

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Doug McGill wrote:

> Russia is a major reprocessor of spent nuclear fuel from countries like
> the U.S. and France.

Really? I thought the US has always been against reprocessing, even doing it itself domestically, because of the proliferation risks. (It's the one way to get plutonium if you don't have a breeder reactor.) For us to send it to Russia would violate every principle of common sense (which doesn't mean it's not true :o). And doesn't France reprocess all its own fuel as well as that of other countries? They have such trouble sending it to Gorleben I can't imagine how'd they'd ship it to Russia.

Michael