more on Islamism and new social movements

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 02:12:15 PST 2002

Jeffrey Fisher <jfisher at igc.org> writes

"isn't there already enough actually substantively problematic about new social movements that it's unnecessary to resort to the right-wing tactic of comparing everything we don't like to terrorists?"

I don't think that Phil Cunliffe was comparing nsms to Islamists to describe nsms, but to describe Islamists.

If I read him right he would agree with you that there is something substantially problematic about nsms, namely their anti-mass character, and that these are characteristics they share with modern-day Islamism.

(And isn't this just Trotsky's argument about the inner link between terrorism and reformism?) -- James Heartfield The 'Death of the Subject' Explained is available at GBP11.00, plus GBP1.00 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'