the 'new' colonialism

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Nov 18 07:37:43 PST 2002

Ian Murray wrote:

> History rarely runs smoothly, but not many want to recall that Britain's
> colonial past was a switchback ride of subjugation, exploitation and
> imperial force majeure.

This is true, but pre-British Indian society was equally barbaric.Untouchability, for example. Untouchability had lasted for 1500 years. I wonder how many more centuries this would have continued, if Indian nationalism had not emerged in response to the British Rule. The British Rule had some unintended consequences.

Ulhas