the 'new' colonialism

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 18 11:58:31 PST 2002

Ulhas said:

>This is true, but pre-British Indian society was equally
>barbaric.Untouchability, for example. Untouchability had lasted for >1500
>years. I wonder how many more centuries this would have continued, if
> >Indian nationalism had not emerged in response to the British Rule. >The
>British Rule had some unintended consequences.

Maybe a few more years/decades/centuries. Might have depended on how many Indians went abroad, embraced liberalism in The West, then brought the ideas back home (and/or asked for help from their sponsoring countries to push the idea). Didn't the same sort of pattern happen in Turkey, to bring more modern ideas and ideals into a still feudal country around the turn of the century?

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail