Taibbi on US coverage of Moscow theater crisis

Francis Hwang sera at fhwang.net
Mon Nov 18 23:28:34 PST 2002

Good article, but it needs a correction:

>Islamic terrorists are not blowing up McDonald's franchises or
>David Hasselhof concert venues (although maybe they should); they're
>attacking embassies, warships, the Pentagon and, finally, the center of U.S.
>financial power in lower Manhattan.

Islamic terrorists are, in fact, blowing up McDonald's franchises. And Pizza Hut, and Kentucky Fried Chicken:

http://www.menareport.com/story/TheNews.php3?sid=233389&lang=e&dir=mena

None of which, of course, changes Taibbi's point. Most likely, the bombing of American fast food in Lebanon is not related to some cultural Jihad, and more rooted in the boycotts that have been called on American businesses for the U.S.'s support of Israel. Of course most fuzzy-minded commentators would still prefer to explain this by saying "They hate our blue jeans, they hate our rock'n'roll." ...

Francis --