Checkpoints in Michigan

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Tue Nov 19 06:45:59 PST 2002

In a message dated 11/19/02 5:43:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, furuhashi.1 at osu.edu writes:

> US Border Patrol sets up random checkpoints in Michigan
>
> By Joanne Laurier
>
> As part of the Bush administration's ongoing attack on democratic
> rights, the US Border Patrol began setting up rotating and
> unannounced checkpoints November 12 in southeast Michigan near the
> US-Canadian frontier. The Border Patrol, part of the Department of
> Justice's Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), claims
> authority to establish traffic checkpoints that can stop and
> interrogate all motorists and their passengers.

I hate to tell you this, but I think this stuff is NOT new in NM, AZ, TX, southern CA. Maybe it's new in MI, and of course it expands an ongoing attack on civil liberties, but it's not new. It hasn't gotten to WA, I don't think,, but the other night the TV news was reporting on new camera at various point along the WA-Canada border.

Any LBO-talker folk with direct experience with the southern variety?

DoreneC -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20021119/6e82bfdd/attachment.htm>