bourgeois riot, DC branch

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 19 09:44:42 PST 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

>But mostly after the event. My point was that during the actual conflict,
>the folks fighting on the issue were mostly partisan Dems, whether unionists
>and NAACP folks in the streets down in Florida or folks like myself writing,
>doing the legal research and propagandizing during the count.

See Jenny Brown's testimony to the contrary. She was in Florida, so she's got some standing as an eyewitness.

>And Doug, you were in the lead initially on dismissing the Florida outrage
>as nothing particularly to be outraged at compared to any other electoral
>problem in our system.

It's all a fucking outrage. Disenfranchising felons is a disgrace. Petty harassments are routine, as are vote fraud and god knows what else. In the post you quote, I said that it took this particular outrage to get partisan Dems upset, but it was unlikely they'd agitate more broadly. And I was right. In fact, they're not even agitating about Florida anymore. It's only those radicals you claim don't give a shit.

Doug