Corn transcript

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Nov 19 13:33:18 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Chuck0 wrote:
>
>> It's easy to berate Corn, Cooper, and Hitchens for the way in which
>> they have framed their criticism of ANSWER. But I have to ask where
>> the other leftist writers have been with a more constructive public
>> criticism of ANSWER? The only person here who I know has engaged in
>> this is Liza.
>

> You're right. But Liza did it the way it should be done (not that I'm
> biased or anything) - acknowledging context and complexity, with her
> antiwar sentiments fully on display. Neither Corn's piece in the LA
> Weekly nor his appearance on O'Reilly did any of that.

That was my point. Liza didn't shy away from criticizing ANSWER in her articles and provided some context. I wouldn't be surprised if Liza got a few emails from ANSWER/IAC supporters accusing her of red-baiting. In the eyes of the authoritarian Left and their supporters, intra-movement criticism is a verboten topic.

If other "movement writers" and left columnists included level-headed criticism of groups in the movement in their coverage, we wouldn't be in this situation. Why should Susan Sarandon or some anti-war activist in Ohio have to find out about ANSWER being a front group for the WWP from watching the O'Reilly Show?

I'd like to know what David Corn thought he was accomplishing by appearing on that show.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)