Ghani

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 19 16:54:17 PST 2002

Peter K. wrote:

> >I've just posted my October 4, 2001, interview with Ashraf Ghani, the
>>anthropologist who is now finance minister of Afghanistan (surely one
>>of the least enviable jobs in the world), but who then was a former
>>Johns Hopkins professor and World Bank consultant. It's at
>><http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html#Individual>.
>
>Least enviable? Aren't you cutting against the left's party line
>that his government is a tool of Empire? It's great he
>agreed to be on your show.

That was long ago, when he was still writing op-eds for the FT. Being the finmin of Afghanistan means having revenues of - didn't the FT say this the other day? - about $80 million from customs duties when your spending needs are limitless. Uncle Sam is being very fucking cheap with the aid too.

Doug