Corn transcript

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Nov 20 05:47:30 PST 2002

>From an uninformed distance, I suspect Brown is innocent.
Whether you introduce his case into an anti-war rally is a separate question. One could argue that joining the two discredits both, since it distracts from the merits of both issues in favor of a thin political message. Having a coalition against war and racism is not a substitute for an analysis and message that links the two in a compelling way. In retrospect, something equivalent to "out now" looks better and better. You stop the war by talking about the war.

If I'm on trial and the facts favor my case, I don't want to make a political appeal, even if the case is political. For one thing, the jurors could wonder that the political emphasis is meant to cover up for a weak case on the facts.

I don't doubt Mumia has not received a fair trial, but to utilize him as a political voice is just not serious, if you want to have some constructive political effect. That someone is f**ed over by authorities does not qualify them as movement leader.

Corn's response to Doug is pretty solid, IMO. The transcript doesn't say much for the success of his appearance, but you only get better at these things by doing them.

mbs