even soldiers find censorship too strict

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Nov 20 21:21:10 PST 2002

THE MEDIA, Pentagon drawing battle lines with press, Mark Jurkowitz:

''This Pentagon practices, regularly, lack-of-information warfare against the press,'' said Mark Thompson, Time magazine's national-security correspondent. ''Longtime sources in the building that you could call up and visit, they don't want to be called. ... This is a much different place.'' History Channel host Arthur Kent - best known as NBC's ''Scud Stud'' during the 1991 Gulf War - predicted that in the event of another war with Iraq, ''attempts to muzzle us ... are going to be unprecedented.''

--------

I don't know when or where Jerk-o-wits or the rest of the US media got the idea that the government, military, and corporations were supposed to hand over critical and potentially damaging information to the press, let alone, tell the truth. None the less, it seems this silly idea is the basic working assumption behind the story about muzzling media.

``Given Afghanistan as an object lesson, the consensus was that Rumsfeld's Pentagon has taken the art of information control to new heights.''

No, you think? Since when was the News, what some government mouth piece said was news?

Oh, I am sorry. I am from another planet. Where I grew up, the press automatically assumed the government and business were lying, and sought to expose those lies on a daily basis. I forgot everything's different here on Imperial Earth. Nevermind.

Chuck Grimes