Christmas Shopping

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Nov 21 10:45:56 PST 2002

Kevin:
> WASHINGTON - A massive database that the government will
> use to monitor every purchase made by every American
> citizen is a necessary tool in the war on terror, the
> Pentagon said Wednesday.

What's the big deal? Pay cash is you are concerned about privacy.

It is utterly foolish to trust any official (public or corporate) or to "respect" paper guarantees. If something can be done, they will do it, no matter what paper laws and constitutions say. That is what I learned in Eastern European elemenatry school, and no - I do not think Amerika is or has ever been any different, just better camouflaged. So if for wharever reason I wanted to conceal any activity from the prying eyes of the officialdom I would:

- abastain from using any electronic media, suchas telephones or internet, because the messages can be easily intercepted - abstain from using any written messages - while they cannot be intercepted as easily as electronic messages, they leave incriminating paper trail, so I would use oral cimmunication instead - I would minimize long distance communication to the necessary minum and use codes that are difficult to distinguish from everyday communication - I would pay cash or postal money orders, I would not apply for any bank account or credit card (these can provide a wealth of incriminating evidence), - I would minimize my purchases of goods that require background checks, such as cars, homes or insurance products; instead I would travel by public transit or taxi (it is also much cheaper than owning a car), and rent an apartment - I would use a mail box linked to an expired address (e.g. a short term renatl) for my postal correspondence.

These are the simple methods that everyone can use to foil most attempts to collect any data by private or government agencies.

Wojtek