"Red Encyclopedia"? Re: Corn transcript

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Nov 21 14:13:31 PST 2002

At 11:15 AM -0800 11/20/02, Thomas Seay wrote:
>Doug, you are definitely right about that. However, somehow an
>entry for the Quakers would have seemed, well,odd, side by side with
>the RCP and WWP. In fact, I found it odd enough that the Green
>Party was there.

The Quakers aren't "Reds," in self-identification, but they are more reliably anti-war, and therefore in the US context more reliably anti-imperialist, than some of the orgs included in the "Red Encyclopedia," e.g., DSA and the Labor Party. I'd be interested in knowing just how many Quaker organizers and activists exist in the United States.

Speaking of national anti-war mobilization, I just have to wonder why the Greens have so far failed to seize an opportunity. According to <http://www.red-encyclopedia.org/groups.html>, the Greens USA are estimated to have 300 "cadres," and the Green Party, 500 "cadres" and 25,000 "members." If the estimates are in any way accurate, the Greens together would have enough "cadres" and "members" to become the center of a nationwide mobilization. Judging by their websites <http://www.greenparty.org/> & <http://www.greenpartyus.org/>, both the GP USA and the GP US are anti-war. If they had succeeded in becoming the center of national anti-war mobilization, they could have also had better results in the mid-term election, through more vivid and effective product differentiation from what the Democrats had to offer. -- Yoshie