Steve Perry: forget the Dems!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 21 15:45:02 PST 2002

<http://citypages.com/databank/23/1147/article10891.asp>

Why We Should All Give Up on the Democrats: A Polemical Essay Spank the Donkey

By Steve Perry

Another election day, another set of blown hopes for Democrats everywhere. This is mainly an essay about the national Democratic party, which ought never be confused with real people, but in this one instance what I mean by Democrats are the real people who continue to place their faith in the party and to hope it can be made into more than the champion of the status quo it's become. I mean all those other people, too, who can't bear to call themselves Democrats (or Republicans) anymore and don't like the way things are but see no alternative to letting Democrats and Republicans hash it out. This is a vast number of people we're talking about--between one-fifth and one-half of the voting public, and beyond them the half of the country that sees no point in voting. These were the real losers on election day.

Time to give up on the Democratic party once and for all.

[...]