Contact Information, Etc. Re: Corn transcript

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Nov 22 08:32:38 PST 2002

In earlier posts, Yoshie kept pointing out that it was important for an organization that organizes protests to have a good list of contacts. I think she was arguing for something bigger than just having a phone list. I agree that these things are important, but I want to bring up one important consideration.

The WWP or ANSWER are not some kind of national NGO that keep a database in order to mobilize supporters for some kind of lobbying campaign. The WWP is collecting names of regular activists, some of whom engage in direct action. Doesn't it seem like the WWP--with its centralization and effective techniques at building an address list--would be a fat target for the Feds? All the FBI has to do is burgle their office late some night, copy computer files and phone lists, and they suddenly have a list of activist organizers around the U.S.

Granted, any radical organization has to take this kind of risk, but we don't have that many national activist organziations that would have large databases like this. Looking back at history, we can see numerous examples where the government raided the offices of radical organizations and took lists of activists and radicals. And we know that the FBI has claimed that the WWP is a "terrorist" organization.

Let's hope that the WWP practices good data security. If they want to be big players in the anti-war movement, it is their responsibility to make sure that the names of radicals are well-protected.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)