H. Rap Brown (was Re: Corn transcript)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 22 09:20:13 PST 2002

I know little about the case, but if I recall correctly, the original question was not really whether he was guilty or not but whether, as a practical political issue, it is correct for speakers at an anti-war rally to defend him. Or more precisely, is the fqct that some speakers at an ANSWER rally _did_ support him a reasonable bit of evidence against ANSWER? My general feeling is that we are right to defend our own! And that a "we" that does not include Mumia at least, and probably Al-Amin, is I think not an "adequate" _we_. (I'm not sure what adjective I want here, hence the quotes around _adequate_.)

And before that the thread concerned Corn, and among other things his calling Al-Amin "Rap Brown." That puts Corn in the same category as those rather aggressively racist sports jounalists of the mid-60s who insisted on calling Muhhamad Ali "Cassius Clay."

Carrol