US, Australia free trade deal

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Nov 23 05:20:41 PST 2002

Bill Bartlett posted:

>All the way with a free trade deal
>
> Date: November 23 2002
>
> The proposed free trade deal with the US could have a high price tag - our
sovereignty, writes Hugh Mackay.

Its my impression that Australian economy had robust growth recently. Usually there is less resistance to economic integration during such periods. I understand Australia is negotiating FTA with Singapore as well.

> But when the Prime Minister announced, soon after the Dalai Lama's visit,
>that a >deal had been struck with China for the purchase of Australian
gas -
>the biggest >contract we have entered into with another country - it became
>clear why the >Dalai Lama couldn't possibly have been entertained. Offend
>China by consorting >with him; put the gas deal at risk. Simple.

Does Australia trade with Myanmar? There must be a similar question there .

> Either way, the looming FTA negotiations should prove instructive. In
>return for >Australia being offered better access to US markets for beef,
>lamb and other farm >and manufactured products, the US is asking our
>government to make some truly >amazing concessions: abandon our power of
>veto over foreign investment >proposals from US companies; change our GM
>food labelling laws; dismantle >our "single desk" organisations for the
>marketing of commodities like wheat; and >even relax our quarantine rules.

Is farmers' lobby very strong in Australian politics?

> A deal like that would create a very different Australia: we'd be so
>beholden to >the US that we'd be at risk of being treated like a de facto
>52nd state.

Is the question of sovereignty a major issue in Australian politics?

Ulhas