Christmas Shopping

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 23 07:20:43 PST 2002

>Wojtek Sokolowski:
>> That is a very efective weapon against the corporate state. Most of
>> their social control mechanisms depend on you voluntarily submit the
>> whip with which they can flog you (e.g. info on your assets they can
>> garnish, your driving privilege they can withdraw, etc.). If you do not
>> do that, as many people in my hood do, they do not have too many means
>> to punish you to force compliance.
>
>Hence the utility of the Bismarckian Welfare State. I
>am wondering whether the ruling class will now attempt
>to reverse the trend toward letting the poor fend for
>themselves, given that they are then less easy to
>observe and control.
>
>-- Gordon

The Bush regime is the sort that believes it can get away with being stingy toward veterans of the past wars on the brink of a new stage of the war on Iraq, so it's unlikely that more crumbs will fall into the hands of the poor in the near future. What they might come up with in the future that may snare even more of the very poor in the Panopticon -- in addition to continuation of frequent arrests of the very poor already in practice -- is extensive biometric data collection through retinal scans, fingerprinting, urine tests, etc. at all schools in the name of school safety and the like, the one part of the welfare state that the United States does possess being public schools. -- Yoshie