Barbara Trent & Crew Document the Peace Movement

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 23 08:02:32 PST 2002

***** Since 9/11/2001, we have been documenting the re-invigorated movement for peace and global justice: first, on the streets of New York City immediately following the collapse of the Trade Towers, then in February 2002 at the protest against the World Economic Forum corporate agenda in New York, in April when 75,000 protesters gathered to bring attention to the plight of the Palestinians, the School of the Americas, and the US military involvement in Columbia in Washington DC, and on October 6th in New York where 30 to 45 thousand people demonstrated in Central Park against the escalation of war in Iraq and US foreign and domestic policies tied to this horrifying but not unexpected development.

We are videoing activists, experts, and citizens who are rarely heard, as well as celebrities and the occasional politician who still has a spine. The resistance movement is growing exponentially but the corporate media refuses to report its existence. We are countering that. Clips of our footage have been on Free Speech TV within 48 hours of several of these protests. Half-hour programs follow within one to two weeks thereafter. We will soon cut that time to under a week.

We have been providing crucial alternatives to the official lies being fed to the public by the US government and the major corporate media.

As the pace of destruction speeds up on the planet, so must our pace as a counterbalance. In the next year, we will produce 12 half-hour TV programs documenting the movement that is not being reported by the corporate media. Aside from Free Speech TV which distributes our work to tens of millions of people, we are pitching these programs to national cable/satellite networks such as; Bravo, the Independent Film Channel, Cinemax, and the Sundance Channel. We are simultaneously bringing this information to colleges and universities across the country via ongoing speaking appearances by Barbara Trent [see <http://www.empowermentproject.org/barbara.htm> -- to book Barbara to speak at your institution contact: Empowerment Project, 2007 Jo Mac Road, Chapel Hill NC 27516, Phone: 919.967.1963, Fax: 919.967.1963, Email: project2 at mindspring.com]. We shall use the web, Action Alerts, television broadcasts, cablecasts, radio and newspapers, as well as large community/university events to translate the information and inspiration of these videos into direct action and real change. Seeing for oneself the resistance in this country will mobilize people both here and abroad. This is an essential element of organizing for justice and peace at this crucial time.

We will expose the insanity and inhumanity of this war and all of its devastating ramifications both here and abroad.

Barbara Trent and Crew documents the Peace Movement: September 2001 - Times Square/Union Square/ Ground Zero, New York, NY February 2002 - WEF Protests, Waldorf Astoria, New York, NY April 19-22, 2002 - The Mall, Washington, DC - Watch EP coverage of the Mobilization for Colombia and School of the Americas on Free Speech TV "World in Crisis." October 6, 2002 - Not In Our Name "Day of Resistance, " Central Park, New York, NY October 26, 2002 - The Mall, Washington, DC (International ANSWER)

Watch a six minute clip (realplayer download) on NC IndyMedia Center website. <http://nc.indymedia.org/uploads/DC%20Protest10-26.rm>

To view our most recent footage, please visit the Free Speech TV website : www.freespeech.org

<http://www.empowermentproject.org/update.htm> ***** -- Yoshie