The magic of repetition

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 24 07:47:58 PST 2002

Michael Pollak wrote:

> I'm beginning to get intrigued by how much credence it seems any assertion
> can gain purely through repetition, quite apart from every other mechanism
> used to persuade.

See the recent thread on lbo-talk on "sex and the left" -- the only basis for even starting that thread was this sort of repetition over time of an utterly vacuous assertion re "The Left." In fact almost _all_ the epithets that are regularly applied to that great abstraction, "The Left" have no other basis than constant repetition (with slight variation in vocabulary) over the last two centuries. Someone ought to do a glossary of "Communist Anti-Communism."

Carrol