Alterman's list

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 26 09:48:54 PST 2002

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Alterman says . .

I think I've used the following passage before, in reference to someone like Alterman:

Let _Sporus_ tremble -- "What? that thing of silk,

"_Sporus_, that mere white Curd of Ass's milk?

"Satire or Sense alas! can _"Sporus_ feel?

"Who breaks a Butterfly upon a Wheel?"

Yet let me flap this Bug with gilded wings;

This painted Child of Dirt that stinks and stings. . . .

(Ep. to Arb., 305-310)

My guess is anyone who can take Alterman serious to begin with is not going to be affected by anything one can say.

Is my impression true that "criticisms" of Chomsky are always generalized, almost never focused on any specific argument in his works? Being unable to meet his specific arguments they set very consciously to work to poison the well.

Carrol

(Just catching up with mail. The ISU server was down yesterday.)