Bad guys and burdens of proof (Was H Rap Brown)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 26 14:22:00 PST 2002

Michael Perelman wrote:

> So am I. As governor, he radiated meanness. Not always, but when things
> got tough. As president, his handlers kept it under control.

Many of his votes came from angry whutes. I would guess they were cheering his mean streak, not his cheery smile. Racism had to change its face a bit after the '60s, but that it retains its bite is reflected both in the phenomena of Democrts for Reagan and "left" columnista who think it perfectly safe to rant about anti-war protesters who dare to cheer for Mumia. I'm not saying those columnists are themselves racist; I'm saying that they depend on racist responses in their readers.

Carrol