life on campus

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Nov 26 18:26:07 PST 2002

We are fairly regularly asked for information about international students which determine whether or not visas will be renewed or revoked, but at least it's generally academic -- are they passing or at least working (depends who you get on the other end). This always staggers me given that Australian students are often quite, um, blase about whether or not they're working. Asking central admin for information would be quite a different thing, even here, but I actually have no idea whether the govt has a right to contact information about international students. Probably.

and, the article about 'no indoctrination'... presumably students can choose to withdraw from a course that doesn't suit them and take something else? In Australia I can imagine there being some furor over bias based on the fact that the government pays all Australian academics (except at BondU), and there are occasional rumblings, but it has never really come to head anywhere to my knowledge. Primarily, I expect, this is because a student can always choose another course, combined with the fact that most vulnerable courses are in H&SS where most students would not want to be identified as conservative or as unable to cope with contradictory political opinions. I very often have US students in my classes and while they are generally more conservative they seem just as aware that political opinions are voiced in H&SS subjects. Am I missing something?

Catherine