Gore reveals what turned the press against him: postmodernism

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 27 08:15:57 PST 2002

RE: http://www2.observer.com/observer/pages/frontpage1.asp

For now, Mr. Gore can only attempt to explain what motivates the ceaseless lampooning he continues to face from America's columnists and commentators. "That's postmodernism," he offered. "It's the combination of narcissism and nihilism that really defines postmodernism, and that's another interview for another time, if you're interested in it.

I think it is a fair characterization of postmodernizm, although I do not think pomo has much to do with Mr. Gore's unpopularity. IMHO, it is a combination of Mr. Gore's image as a sanctimonius stuffed shirt and the eagerness of media hacks to serve their corporate masters who do not like Mr. Gore.

Wojtek