Frida (2002) -- reviewed by Manohla Dargis

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Nov 27 09:26:11 PST 2002

>MOVIE REVIEW
>
>A portrait of 'Frida' that's all in the framing
>
>By Manohla Dargis
>Times Staff Writer
>
>October 25 2002
>
>The artist Frida Kahlo was famous for a lot of things -- her
>glorious paintings, her grotesque pain,

an illusion to her "deformity" here?

>you get the sense that even when her body was held hostage by
>infirmity, as it was for long stretches of her difficult life, Kahlo
>wanted the world to know that part of her was free.

ick, as if nondisabled people are "free" this is stereotypical muck whereby the physical body is viewed as "bound" when disabled.

>Plagued by multiple infirmities that confined her alternately to a
>wheelchair and to her sickbed,

here we go again. "confined to a a wheelchair" is old attitude stuff. I suggest the writer is disability-phobic.

sounds like we will have yet to see the real Frida.

marta --