France: Strikes, Protests Mount vs. Austerity Measures

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Wed Nov 27 10:58:21 PST 2002

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 at 12:59pm Doug Henwood wrote:

> This is related to the point I was making about Reagan
> recently - that he projected optimism and possibility.
> But everyone said this wasn't true, he was really a
> prick. He led the right's appropriation of traditionally
> left discourse about revolution, and rendered labor and
> the left looking like tired defenders of the status quo.
> People still don't seem to appreciate how successful
> this was.

Every time a hear a 40K/yr white male office worker call in to an AM radio show and denounce the injustice of the "death tax" (that they will NEVER be in danger of paying one dime of), I think about just how successful he was. And I despair of the left ever being able to compete with such thorough brain pollution.

Maybe Bush can be mean where Reagan had to be nice because the ideological war has already been won now.

-- no Onan