A Pig Returns to the Farm, Thumbing His Snout at Orwell

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 27 12:38:26 PST 2002

>At 9:56 PM -0600 11/26/02, Peter K. wrote:
>>Along with Trosky, many left oppositionists and Troskyists were
>>murdered by Stalin. Snowball doesn't come back. The descendants of
>>Napoleon transformed into pro-capitalists.
>
>Yoshie:
>Most of the dissidents -- Trotskyists come neo-cons, Polish
>Solidarity, etc. -- and descendants of Napoleon became
>pro-capitalists. Few in today's world think that they can or must
>create a non-capitalist world. You don't either.
>----------
>I don't? I'm pro-capitalist when they're in a life and death struggle
>with feudalists (i.e. those who want to return the world to feudalism).
>But otherwise, as you said to Shane:
>
>"If "the record" were really extensive, you should be able to find an
>example or two easily. You can't actually find any opposition on my
>part to all criticisms of "certain sects lest it cede too much to
>their opponents," though; I myself have made a criticism or two of
>just about anything, including what you call "sects." I simply
>believe criticisms should be fair and accurate, rather than unfair,
>inaccurate, or without any accompanying evidence."
>
>Also, "most" of the dissidents became pro-capitalist? Quite a generalization.
>I'd hazard a guess that Stalin eliminated most of them off. (I mean, he
>went to Mexico to get Trotsky) Another point, there's a difference
>between being pro-capitalist and thinking "there in no alternative."
>I don't subscribe to TINA. Why
>limit our options? Do you agree?
>
>Peter

By dissidents, I'm not simply talking about those who were of Stalin's contemporaries. There were those who came afterward. Stalin died in 1953. Many dissidents in the last days of the USSR and the Eastern bloc were those who were born after his death.

As for an alternative to capitalism, I don't know what sort of alternative you have in your mind, but rest assured that there is no hope of working toward it here in the USA, unless and until masses of people get fed up with the endless war and destruction of civil rights and liberties.

Yoshie