Gore reveals what turned the press against him: postmodernism

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Wed Nov 27 14:08:37 PST 2002

>http://www2.observer.com/observer/pages/frontpage1.asp
>
>For now, Mr. Gore can only attempt to explain what motivates the
>ceaseless lampooning he continues to face from America's columnists and
>commentators. "That's postmodernism," he offered. "It's the combination
>of narcissism and nihilism that really defines postmodernism, and that's
>another interview for another time, if you're interested in it.

"Postmodernism" is a brilliant excuse. He's letting it rip and I can see him winning. Anyone have Fredric Jameson's e-mail or Perry Anderson's e-mail? I'd like to see their reaction.

"Nihilism" is a little too European, however. In most Americans' minds it probably conjures up images like Flea and the German nihilists in the Coen brothers film The Big Lebowski. Or Mike Meyers in black dancing on his show Sprockets. However he is speaking to a European audience, right?

Peter