Thanksgiving

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Nov 28 00:59:30 PST 2002

>At 03:06 PM 11/27/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>This is related to the point I was making about Reagan recently -
>>that he projected optimism and possiblity. But everyone said this
>>wasn't true, he was really a prick. He led the right's appropriation
>>of traditionally left discourse about revolution, and rendered labor
>>and the left looking like tired defenders of the status quo. People
>>still don't seem to appreciate how successful this was.
>
>I don't agree. From what I remember, Reagan projected/expressed an
>avuncular air meant to reassure: "There, there," he seemed to be
>saying, "you can all just go to sleep now. We'll take care of
>everything. There are simple answers and we have them. Just relax
>and go to slelep." And, people did.
>
>One thing the right understands is people's profound need for
>emotional grounding and connections...in an alienated and completely
>dispossessing, soul-murdering culture. So the right identifies
>itself with images that concretly express that need and its
>satisfaction through the family, the church, the "community" --
>completely ignoring the extent to which these formations are
>systematically being destroyed by capitalism. According to the
>right, we're not defending a nation; we're defending "our home
>land," the poor are not those who lack food and housing, they are
>"home"-less. The left, large parts of which think of the family as
>an atavistic form and who, through their wholesale adherence to
>identity politics, cannot rise above the level of the individual
>have nothing with which to counter right-wing propaganda.
>
>Joanna

Many left-wing feminists have written insightfully about families: Stephanie Coontz, Martha Gimenez, Rickie Solinger, Judith Stacey, etc. It is just that their narratives of the history of families, observations on the present state of families, and perspectives of the future of families have not and will not be mass marketed by the corporate media.

Then, there's an aspect of American family lives that the Right refuse to mention:

***** Savage Love by Dan Savage November 13 - 19, 2002

_My parents are bugging me to come home for Thanksgiving. The thing is, as a kid I always hated holidays. No, I loved holidays; what I hated was my parents. Growing up, I was ignored on holidays except when my mom would order me to wait on my brothers and dad. As an adult, it's no better. My family spends most of the time talking about work, but I'm not allowed to talk about my job because it isn't a "real job": I do low-paying social work. (My dad and brothers work in computers.) Despite my mom being so sentimental about Thanksgiving, she and my dad don't "do" Christmas because it's "too much trouble" to buy gifts. And several years ago my mom curtly told me the day before my birthday that we wouldn't be celebrating my birthday, "since no one will have a good time." When I told them a few months ago that I wouldn't be coming home for Thanksgiving due to the complete lack of consideration for me (last time I was home my dad demanded that we all go to a steak house though he knows I'm a vegetarian!), my mom angrily denied that any of this ever happened. When I tried to argue with her she screamed, "Are you calling me a liar?"

I'm an adult. Do I still have to swallow my mother's lies, my father's tirades about my job, and their insistence that we're really a happy family? The only thing making me even consider going home for Thanksgiving is the guilt. My brothers are no help-they're too spineless to stick up for me. Please give counsel, and soon! -Give Me Any Dumb Name You Want_

You don't need my counsel, GMADNYW. You need your very own spine. No one can force an adult to go home if she doesn't want to, so there's no need to bore the whole friggin' planet with scab-pickers about your awful parents, your miserable childhood, your miserable holidays, dad's steak dinners, and unwelcome career advice. So your parents are grade-A, gold-plated, lemon-scented assholes. Then don't go home for Thanksgiving. If they lay a guilt trip on you, try saying something like this: "You know what, Mom and Dad? You suck. The only way I'd spend Thanksgiving at 'home' this year is if I knew for a fact that Russian security forces were going to fill your house with gas and put me out of my fucking misery."

<http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0246/savage.php> *****

Cf. _An American Family_ (Craig Gilbert, Susan Raymond, Alan Raymond, PBS, 1973): <http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/14/arts/television/14WOOD.html>

Cf. Frederick Wiseman: <http://www.zipporah.com/>, <http://film.guardian.co.uk/Century_Of_Films/Story/0,4135,401800,00.html>, <http://www.salon.com/people/conv/2002/01/30/wiseman/>. -- Yoshie