A Pig Returns to the Farm, Thumbing His Snout at Orwell

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Nov 28 06:37:18 PST 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> >Is Lenin alive?
> >
> I do like the following remark by Zizek on Lenin and Lacan (among
> other things in his work): "Lenin possessed the strength to prolong
> the utopian moment.

I don't know what this could possibly mean, but I will take a look at Zizek.

>Nowhere in his work is there any trace of what
> Lacan called the 'narcissism of the lost cause',

Surely he and everyone of his generation came too early for that.

>displayed by those
> who cannot wait for the revolution to fail so that they might admire
> and bemoan it.

Are there such people? Trotsky? Gramsci? Lukacs?

>This is what made Lenin the politician of the 20th
> century - the century of the passion of the real"

This is hardly complimentary to Lenin. If he were alive, he may completely disassociate himself from the 20th century !

>From the blurb:

"Zizek is convinced: whatever the discussion-the forthcoming crisis of capitalism, the possibility of a redeeming violence, the falsity of liberal tolerance-he believes that Lenin's time has come again"

This doesn't read like a death sentence at all.

Ulhas