sex league tables

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 28 08:01:36 PST 2002

"W. Kiernan" wrote:

> What needs to be accounted for? For example, of a sample of a hundred
> men and a hundred women, imagine 40 men had one of these one-night
> affairs with one woman and 14 with two different women, while 16 women
> had the same kind of encounters with one man and 26 women with two
> different men.

I don't remember the exact argument. The whole article by Lewontin was important as a general critique of the pseudo-science involved in social studies grounded in such surveys. I'll try to look the original artical and the follow-up in letters.

> That adds up with no logical necessity for anyone to have lied. Of
> course I also believe that _everyone_ who responds to questionnaires and
> polls about topics like that are all lying their asses off; at least I
> would.

Yes. This was part of Lewontin's argument also.

Carrol