The Mystery of Hitchens's Mind (was: Re: Bush Names Kissinger to Head 9/11 Probe)

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Fri Nov 29 14:06:52 PST 2002

Anthony Tothe:
> I agree with both comments below...I always found Hitchens almost
> unreadable. He always wants us to see how smart he is. One of the reasons
> I use to read his Nation column was to just see how many words he used that
> I did know. I frankly hate that...the political world is not so complex
> that it can't be explained in plain simple English. Hitch is not alone in
> this...many politicos write in such a way that only other members of their
> class can decipher what the hell they are trying to say. Maybe "Empire"
> being the most recent and prime example.

In the case of Hitchens, I don't believe there's anything to decipher. Of course, I haven't read the complete _oeuvre_. The thought of focusing on someone as odious as Henry Kissinger for the length of a whole book is beyond my imagination, so something must be said for Hitchens's fortitude even if he is ideologically compromised.

-- Gordon